This article discusses how to allow your Plex family users to watch and record live TV using the Plex DVR functionality.
If you search online, you will likely encounter a thread from 2018/2019 telling you that you cannot delegate permissions to record to managed users (family accounts). While this was accurate, it is no-longer so. Update your Plex server before continuing (version 4.87.2 as of writing).
Note: A default, Free version of Plex does not support any Live TV playback or recording at all. In order to make use of TV Tuner functionality, you will require a Plex Pass subscription. If you do not have a Plex Pass subscription, the menus and options mentioned in this article will not appear on your user interface.
Once you have an active Plex Pass subscription:
- You must use your administrator account to configure your tuners (Settings > Manage > Live TV & DVR). Click to add a device and successfully tune it to enable Live TV features.
- Secondly, you must setup a library with write access into which TV will record. You will need one for TV Programs and one for Films as Plex will treat each slightly differently.
- Update your user permissions by clicking Setting > Plex Home and click on a managed user.
- Along the top of the user window click ‘Restrictions’.
- Under ‘Live TV & DVR Access’ click Edit.
- Change the setting to either ‘Allow Live TV Only’ (to prohibit recording TV) or ‘Allow Live TV and DVR access’ to allow Live TV recording.
- Ask your users to exit and restart their Plex apps/web browsers to apply the permission changes. They will now find that they have access to recording functions on the DVR.