Welcome to Analog! The worlds most popular web log analyser.
Along with Report Magic, Analog CE is a recommended upgrade for any Analog Install. The following steps outline how to install and upgrade an Analog only installation (with Report Magic).
Note: Windows installation paths under c:\stats\ are provided as an example.
- Create a folder on the root of C Drive called ‘stats’ (c:\stats)
- Create a folder called ‘analog’ under c:\stats (c:\stats\analog)
- Download the binary edition of Analog CE for your platform (e.g. Windows)
- Extract the contents of the compressed file downloaded to c:\stats\analog\
- Create a folder called ‘logs’ under c:\stats (c:\stats\logs)
- Create a folder called ‘report’ under c:\stats (c:\stats\report)
- You now need to create a configuration file for analog you can either do this by editing the file c:\stats\analog\analog.cfg or by using the Analog CE Configuration Generator.
If you are a beginner you may find using the automatic generator easier.The details that you need for the Configuration File Generator are:
Log File Path: c:\stats\logs
Output Type: Report Magic
Output Path: c:\stats\report
If you use the generator, copy and paste the settings it provides into Windows Notepad, save the file as analog.cfg under c:\stats\analog\ (c:\stats\analog\analog.cfg), overwriting as necessary
- Copy your web server log files into the c:\stats\logs folder (they must be .log files if using the Configuration Generator)
- Create a folder called ‘rm’ under c:\stats (c:\stats\rm)
- Download Report Magic from www.reportmagic.org
- Install Report Magic to c:\stats\rm (or extract it into this location)
- Open the file c:\stats\rm\rmagic.ini in Windows Notepad (if it doesn’t exist copy and rename the file rmagic.sample to rmagic.ini)
- Edit the line ‘File_In = sample.dat’ to read
File_In = c:\stats\report\report.dat
- Edit the line ‘File_Out = reports\’ to read
File_Out = c:\stats\report\
- Save and close the file
- Open a Command Prompt and type the following and press return:
cd /d “c:\stats\analog”
- Type ‘analog’ and press return. Analog will now run using your configuration file. Any errors will be reported on the screen
- Type and press return for the command:
cd /d “c:\stats\rm”
- Type ‘rmagic’ and press return. Report Magic will now run using your configuration file. Any errors will be reported to the screen
- Open the file index.html found under c:\stats\report to view the results